Rates Remission & Postponement Policy
Rates Remission Policy
- Remission for Farmland Under 5 Hectares - This remission provides rates relief for Rating Units of less than 5 hectares that are used mainly for land based agriculture or farming activities. We are proposing that Non-commercial Rating Units where the land area is less than 5 hectares be treated as Residential for differential rating purposes. This remission will reduce the amount payable to equal what is payable for a Rural Property of the same value.
- Remission of Refuse Collection and/or Kerbside Recycling Targeted Rates - This amendment recognises Rating Units that demonstrate a consistent pattern of reduced waste or recycling service through a remission.
- Remission for Residential Properties Used Solely as a Single Residence - We are proposing a remission for properties that have Separately Used or Inhabited Portions, but are used solely as a single family residence. This amendment intends to simplify and replace Remission of Uniform Annual General Charges (UAGC) and Targeted Rates of a Fixed Amount on Rating Units Owned by the Same Owner.
- Remission for Land Subject to Special Preservation Conditions - In practice this remission provides limited benefit to applicants. Additional rates relief can be sought through Schedule 1, Parts 1 and 2 of the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002.
- Remission of Uniform Annual General Charges (UAGC) and Targeted Rates of a Fixed Amount on Rating Units Owned by the Same Owner - We are recommending that this provision be replaced by Remission for Residential Properties Used Solely as a Single Residence as described above.
Rates Postponement Policy
To align the Rates Postponement Policy with our proposed amendments to the Revenue & Financing Policy, we propose that the Postponement for Farmland is removed from 1 July 2021.
Do you want to hear from us more often and have your say on other Napier projects?
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is
accurate and up to date, shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith.
Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant
government agencies. cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content.
Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online
graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced
information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council